Monday, December 07, 2009

On The Radio

A few years ago, I was considering auditioning for a part in a TV show. A few friends were also taking part in this. After discussing the program with the head of casting, I decided that it was not a good fit for me. I supported the show, one of my friends was cast and was phenomenal.

Last year the casting director contacted me; there was a new show that she thought might be a better fit for me. This too was not a good fit, but she allowed me to contact those whom I thought it may fit better and put them in touch with her, which I did.

At this point, I had a conversation with a dear friend about television, and he asked me THE question, “WHY?”. This was a mind opener for me, I had never really considered, “why”, it had always seemed a natural progression.

The answer, at that time turned out to be “ego.” I let it go.

Shortly thereafter, some friends began appearing on radio shows, some “real radio” some internet based. I supported them and listened in, and gave feedback after the shows. I fell in love with the format, I had my own show back in my college days, and had appeared on a few shows myself in the 70s and 80s. I had considered doing a show myself a few years ago, but had left it when the opportunity of television had come about.

Now the thought was back in my head. My thinking was that this would be a great way to get to meet new and interesting people, have interesting guests and introduce them to people who may find them as interesting as I do, to learn, to grow, and perhaps help a few people along the way.

In supporting others, I had come across several interesting shows, and met some very interesting people. I fell in love with the concept of Internet based Radio, the shows are available to anyone with an interest, and there are chat rooms for the shows allowing for off air interaction and feedback during the show.

I began outlining the format of my show, reading everything I could find relating to the topic, and listening to shows along the lines of what I wanted to do. I wanted to make sure I was not replicating someone else’s format, plus I was drawn into the radio “thing” as a listener.

Last week, something happened to take all the joy out of this. I was listening to a show, there had been some controversy on the previous shows, a situation that had been resolved, and the host was moving on. During the show, the chat room filled, far beyond previous numbers, and then the phone lines were all full with the nameless and faceless. That is when it began, hate filled diatribe flooding the airwaves and chat room. Personal attacks on the host, those of us listening, and those with an interest in the subject matter. The attacks did not end there, the host, and some of us listeners received hate filled emails and messages through the following day.

At this point in time, I’m not anxious to put myself in that type of situation. I surround myself with positive energy and thoughts, I do not need, nor do I want negativity. For now, I will stick with my writing, lecturing, and personal counseling. There everyone has a name, everyone has a face, and everyone must take responsibility for their words and action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home