Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lisa Williams


Last night, I had the opportunity to attend a live appearance by Lisa Williams. She is a medium and is the cute and quirky alternative to John Edward. She had a show on Lifetime, and is in negotiation on either a new one there, or a show on a different network. She is the rising star in television mediums.

I did enjoy the show, I thought she was fantastic, a great stage presence and unique. She was entertaining and poked fun at herself and what she did, and is very much a fun personality. Some may not like or agree with what she does, but in my observation, she was not exploitive and was very much guest oriented and her goal appeared to be to help guide the people there towards their own acceptance of what had happened to their loved ones. If her theme could be summed up in a few words it would be, remember the person, but move on and get on with your own life. She did this in her own unique way; there were a few tears, but lots of laughs as well.

Having seen her live, I can understand why she has had attention and has a fan base. She is quirky, and very empathetic. As for her presentation, those who were read as well as those around them got the most from this. She got to about 10 groups in the 3 hours, some left upset because they were not addressed, and many who attended had the hope that they would have personal time. Lisa was very clear at the beginning and actually addressed this in a very unique way, expanding those who would get readings to anyone with an open mind. I won’t get into this as it is not mine to share.

I was seated at a table with two other mediums/readers, and a woman who had recently lost her husband. The advice one of the mediums gave prior to the show was to acknowledge things said if they apply, I found it interesting that she mentioned several of these things that applied to her but she did not acknowledge during the presentation. Of course, the mediums I was with admitted that Lisa was good, but they could do so much better, human nature I guess. The woman who had lost her husband did not get a personal session and was not happy when she left, even though she received very good advice from those at the table with her.

After the show, I listened to the comments of the crowd outside the theatre and it was interesting, somewhat expected, and eye-opening in some respects.

All in all, it was well worth going out on the coldest night Boston has seen in over 10 years, well worth the discomfort of sitting in an awkward position for 3 ½ hours, and the pain I’ll be in for the next several days. I was impressed with Lisa Williams in the way she handled people and presented both herself and the subject matter, and I confirmed, at least in my own mind, some things that I want to modify in the way I do my own presentations. Seeing her do things that I currently do (format wise), and hearing the after-comments, has inspired me to make some changes.

On her format, even though some people seemed upset as not having had personal attention, a full 1/3rd of the audience identified themselves as being repeat attendees to her presentations. That is a testament as to how she is received by those in attendance, especially those who are not the few who have personal contact.

There are many lessons to be learned seeing any successful speaker or presenter, regardless of the subject matter or your personal feelings of it. There are lessons to be learned as to what works and what does not, and all we can do is grow if we attend with an open mind and observe.

My EYEs were opened and directed inward. Thank you Lisa!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home